How to fix Big Brother

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ctown28
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 8836

PostSubject: How to fix Big Brother   Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:56 pm

It's no secret that this show has went downhill over the past couple of season. How about some ideas to fix things and get people to actually play the game again.

Get a new casting director, obviously Robyn has not been doing very well in getting the type of palyers the fans want. All we get now if fame whores looking for instagram followers

Get a new production team. Allison Grodner and Rich Meehan have been stuck in cruise control for a while now. It's time to get some new blood in there to change things up.

Get rid of AFP. Now that you have players actively campaigning for it, it's time to go. If people want to win money, play the game and get to the very end.

Rein back the jury house. Don't make it so nice. Instead put the individual players on jury into separate sequester. Or make the jury house one big have not room. This will make it so people don't look forward to going to jury house and getting a summer vacation.

Make it so that unless you win HoH, you are a have not. This goes all summer long. This will prevent people from throwing it week after week and will make it less of a summer vacation and more of a game. You're supposed to be here to win $500,000 not take it easy and relax all summer long.

OK, lets here other ideas on how to spice the game back up
Back to top Go down
Wembeley
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Female Posts : 1427

PostSubject: Re: How to fix Big Brother   Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Sounds great except have nots. I wish that would go away. Do they KNOW it needs fixed or are ratings good enough that they think it's fine? I don't know ANYONE who watches it. I rely on you all if I want to talk about it.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to fix Big Brother   Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:11 pm

Wembeley wrote:
Sounds great except have nots. I wish that would go away. Do they KNOW it needs fixed or are ratings good enough that they think it's fine? I don't know ANYONE who watches it. I rely on you all if I want to talk about it.

I'm not a big fan of have nots either, although it was somewhat better this year where the HoH didn't pick them. But because the gameplay has gotten so bad and you have players going in to just relax and take it easy, I figured this would be a good way to light a fire under them and force them to either play, or be uncomfortable. Ratings haven't been horrible but also aren't anywhere near what they used to be. Lets put it this way, Celebrity Family Feud pulls in better ratings.
Back to top Go down
Wembeley
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: How to fix Big Brother   Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:36 am

How about force them to do chores every day. The place must be kept clean and there is a chart. If clothing is on the floor when they go out for a comp it is taken away for at least a week. Anything to keep them from laying around each day. And no food in the bedrooms not even snacks. Especially snacks. You have to get your ass up and go hang in the kitchen and interact with the rest of the house if you want to eat. Give me some time I will see if I can think of anything else! dishes
Back to top Go down
chap5788
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Female Posts : 6451

PostSubject: Re: How to fix Big Brother   Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:17 am

I could not agree more with your comments about new blood in casting and producing the show. I will give them credit for having a few new wrinkles in the some of the comps this season, but when and what kind they are way too predictable. Hard to expect unexpected when the expected is what always happens.

I like the have-nots. I think it adds something to the game because some people really struggle with it especially the bigger, more physical players. If used right, it can even the playing field with those physical players. I don't like the HOH getting to choose though because then it either becomes a volunteer system or a popularity (or should I say unpopularity) contest. I do like it to be tied to the comps, but I think making everyone who is not HOH a have-not is a bit harsh Ctown.

Back to casting. NOBODY gets on the show if they do not know the game. I am not talking about being a "superfan" or an expert on the game, but at least a general knowledge of the game, such vetoes, HOH's, nominations, etc. No more finding someone waitressing or bartending somewhere who has never seen the show before and casting them because they have a "good TV personality" or eye candy.

There is too much time spent locked up in the house. I don't know anything about how a studio lot is set up, but it seems to me that CBS would have another area close to the BB house, so why not have one reserved for the comps each week so they can keep the backyard open all the time. I think this lends itself to more scheming and plotting because there are more areas in which to do it. It seems like when they are shut into the house for days at a time, everyone ends up sleeping and doing nothing else. Plus they would not be able to guess so easily whether it is an endurance comp or a quick comp or something.

Also give them some more outdoor activity stuff like the corn hole things, badminton and stuff so there would be more social interaction instead of sleeping and hanging out in the hammock. I know this doesn't seem game related, but it makes more people socialize and a simple outburst in a "friendly game" like this can cause people to get pissed off.

They need to give them more alcohol. Even if it is the night before a comp. If the hg's choose the imbibe and it affects their performance, that is their own fault. People tend to get a little more loose lipped when alcohol is introduced too which could very well lead to more drama.

I agree 100% on the AFP. They need to cut that loose. Or if they choose to have it, then they don't get a cash prize, give them a stupid BB trophy or something.

More double evictions. And as Ctown has suggested for several seasons now, have one in the first 2-3 weeks when nobody expects it.

If they have vets on the show, then no extra twists geared to protect them. No teams, no coaching thing, just throw them in with the rest of the hg's and let them sink or swim.

I would like to see more puzzles like the "call Paris" thing. It doesn't have to be for power in the game, it could be for never-not pass, $5000, vacation or things like that. Just something that they have to work on figuring out.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to fix Big Brother   Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:54 pm

chap5788 wrote:

I think making everyone who is not HOH a have-not is a bit harsh Ctown.

I agree that it's harsh, but if it seems the only way to make these people play and stop throwing comps. Sure, you can handle slop for a week or two, but don't make it a free vacation all summer long. Just like survivor, they have to live off the land, nobody goes there for a free vacation. Of course to lighten this up, you can also throw in rewards in some of the current comps so it's not slop ALL-Week long. Like maybe a 2 day pass from it. 

Quote :
Back to casting.  NOBODY gets on the show if they do not know the game.  I am not talking about being a "superfan" or an expert on the game, but at least a general knowledge of the game, such vetoes, HOH's, nominations, etc.  No more finding someone waitressing or bartending somewhere who has never seen the show before and casting them because they have a "good TV personality" or eye candy.

I used to agree with this up until a tweet I saw from this past season, it was from Dr. Will. Many consider him to be the greatest player to ever play the game. He didn't see any previous seasons. Even if he watched season 1, by season 2 it was a completely different game. But I get what you are saying, they should have at least some knowledge of how the game is played. Give them the rules during the casting process, one of the steps to be cast should be a written exam about the general rules of the game.

Quote :
There is too much time spent locked up in the house.  I don't know anything about how a studio lot is set up, but it seems to me that CBS would have another area close to the BB house, so why not have one reserved for the comps each week so they can keep the backyard open all the time.  I think this lends itself to more scheming and plotting because there are more areas in which to do it.  It seems like when they are shut into the house for days at a time, everyone ends up sleeping and doing nothing else.  Plus they would not be able to guess so easily whether it is an endurance comp or a quick comp or something.  

If they had more area, they would certainly use it. From what I've read that doesn't seem to be the case. Studio real estate is a big commodity.

Quote :
Also give them some more outdoor activity stuff like the corn hole things, badminton and stuff so there would be more social interaction instead of sleeping and hanging out in the hammock.  I know this doesn't seem game related, but it makes more people socialize and a simple outburst in a "friendly game" like this can cause people to get pissed off.

Again, I agree. Having just pool and chess seems kind of silly. Give them many more social type games. Cornhole is a perfect one. Put a basketball hoop out there. There are so many options they can put out there. I know it kind of contradicts what I said earlier about making it rough for them, but I think the fact that it could motivate a social game is worth it.

Quote :
They need to give them more alcohol.  Even if it is the night before a comp.  If the hg's choose the imbibe and it affects their performance, that is their own fault.  People tend to get a little more loose lipped when alcohol is introduced too which could very well lead to more drama.

Unfortunately this will never happen. Basically due to liability issues to CBS. They are sometimes pretty generous with alcohol until something happens, like Michelle overdoing it and throwing up all over the place.

I was thinking about this and what I think would be cool is if, in the store room, each HG had an honor bar. Sort of like what you see in a hotel room. The HG's can then drink when they want and as much as they want(Production may have to occasionally step in and cut someone off, but that's just common sense). Now they don't need to make the prices for the alcohol ridiculous like hotel honor bars do, but make it very reasonable and the money for the alcohol they drink is taken out of their stipend. Now this is where it gets tricky, you know someone would come up with some way to use that as a way to coerce somebody (You can drink from my honor bar all week if you don't put me up). Easily solution, you limit the drinks you can buy for another HG to a set amount per week. No shenangians where one can say "Well I didn't buy any for Corey so I'm going to use the ones I could buy for him and buy them for Paul" I wouldn't want to discourage being able to "buy" someone a drink, because again, that is part of being social.

Quote :

I would like to see more puzzles like the "call Paris" thing.  It doesn't have to be for power in the game, it could be for never-not pass, $5000, vacation or things like that.  Just something that they have to work on figuring out.  

I would like to see more puzzles as well. The call Paris thing was fun, but they screwed it up. The only one who should've gotten anything for it was Paul since he was the one who solved it. Another part of it that needs fixing is they have to step it and prevent someone from preventing others of giving things a try, the way Paul refused to let anyone else in the phone booth.
Back to top Go down
Wembeley
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: How to fix Big Brother   Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:03 pm

Yes more alcohol. Some of the best blowups have happened with alcohol involved. And yes on the Paris mystery. One per week please. That was fun.
Back to top Go down
KeenLizzy
BB Junkie Houseguest
BB Junkie Houseguest

Female Posts : 2065

PostSubject: Re: How to fix Big Brother   Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:24 pm

Number one, I'd get rid of production. It's time to get some new blood up in this joint!

Next, I think BB needs to go old school. You know, where the HGs don't get food unless they earn it! PB&J's for everyone! Because those darn HGs are so needy. You want a piece of steak, earn it!

I also like hidden twists that we as the audience have to figure out. Like back in the day, when we didn't know who the twin was. Or that two people were really related. Definitely LOVE the hidden room. But would love for it to be an extra room like it was in season 6! That was the best ever.

Also, no more AFP! And no more production manipulation, production needs to stop giving so many hints to the HGs. They need to quit asking the HGs questions, just let them go to DR and talk. If production is good at their job, they can come up with stuff without hinting. And no more Pandora's box, golden power of veto, big ass safety net.

If they must bring in vets then let it be an All star cast! None of this mixing vets with newbs.

And definitely do not cast people who have no clue what Big Brother even is. Like Chap said, they don't need to be super fans, but some knowledge of the game would be nice. And it would be great if BB would stop casting the same type of "character"! Seriously, I do not want to see another Jordan type, or Jeff type (well maybe another Jeff would be nice TeeHee ) definitely don't need another Frankie in the house.

And how about casting a variety of people. I don't want to see 12 twenty-something, celebrity wanna be's, looking for their fifteen minutes of fame. I know that characters like this might not be boring, but I am sure there are regular people out there who want to play this game and are interesting but don't necessarily want to be famous!

However, if BB insists on casting celebrity wannabes, then I would absolutely LOVE to see a celebrity Big Brother in the US like they have in the UK! There are some C, D, and even Z list celebs who would do this show in a heart beat. BUT, BB should also not coddle them if they do go in the house!! No being allowed to call home, etc...once you're in, they're stuck in there until they get evicted.

And that is how you fix Big Brother. Or at least that's what I would do. :thumbsup:
Back to top Go down
Wembeley
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: How to fix Big Brother   Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:27 pm

KeenLizzy wrote:
I think BB needs to go old school. You know, where the HGs don't get food unless they earn it! PB&J's for everyone! Because those darn HGs are so needy. You want a piece of steak, earn it!
Yes. I really liked when they had comps where they had to earn carbs, proteins, steak dinner, pizza, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to fix Big Brother   

Back to top Go down

How to fix Big Brother
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1