Share | 

Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chap5788
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Female Posts : 7374

PostSubject: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:07 am

I am sure some of you have noticed that I have not been around for quite some time. Well, I am better now, but it has been a tough couple of weeks.

The Reader's Digest version is this:
I had a toothache. Turned out I had a molar with a large abscess under the root and a second tooth right next to it with a smaller abscess. Dentist pulled one, stated the other would probably be fine. Was put on antibiotics and ibuprofen for pain. A few days later, swelling in the jaw increased, pain worsened considerably. Went back to dentist, they pulled the second tooth stating the abscess was growing under that one. Changed to Clindamycin and sent home. Within 48 hours, pain was excruciating, swelling increased horribly. Possible dry socket forming because of swelling pulling wound apart. Dry socket paste applied, sent to an oral surgeon who was of no help. He said hadn't been on antibiotics long enough to warrant draining the huge swelling under my chin. Told to wait the weekend, just use narcotic pain meds. Husband had hernia surgery, was running out of pain meds. Called dentist, but they refused to refill because of swelling. Told to go to ER. My family PCP had retired in July and wasn't thrilled with the person who took over at clinic, but had not made an official change yet. Went to the ER and was admitted to hospital with cellulitis but no focal drainable fluid collection. IV antibiotics and fluids. Narcotic pain meds. Kept overnight. Husband still at home fending for himself after surgery. Released with some urging by me. Still have this huge swelling in chin/neck area, but finally pain is controlled by ibuprofen alone. Now not sure what course to take. Hospitalist said to follow up with PCP, dentist and oral surgeon. Never going back to that oral surgeon, but wish me luck with the dentist and the PCP (or new one if I can get it changed over quickly).

And if anyone is interested in the much longer version, here is the complete summary of events. Have to admit it is kind of therapeutic to type it all out, vent, bitch, whine and complain a bit. So, if you are interested or basically just bored, here it is.

It started with an abscessed tooth. I should preface this by saying I am not a fan of dentists at all; not quite a phobia, but pretty darn close. I found a dentist a few years back with whom I was reasonably comfortable and then he moved into the more cosmetic side of dentistry so I lost him and my dental care has suffered immensely as a result.

So, I had a molar that was hurting a lot (it was a previous root canal that the crown had broken off and I didn't get it take care of) and I grudgingly went to the dentist to get it taken care of. I also had this ball shaped swollen area just below the jaw line under the tooth. X-rays revealed a pretty good size abscess at the root of that tooth and a small abscess forming near the root of the tooth next to it. They said the one tooth definitely had to be pulled, but the other would probably be fine. Much to my surprise, they pulled it that day and put me on antibiotics. It had been my experience before that a person is put on antibiotics first, but they said the size of the abscess dictated that it be pulled immediately and antibiotics were started.

After several days, the pain and that swollen area seemed to be getting worse, so I went back. They did more x-rays and decided that the other tooth couldn't be saved either and pulled it as well and changed my oral antibiotics to Clindamycin. 48 hours later, I was in so much pain I could not stand it. The swelling under my jaw and now my chin was huge and red, I was taking narcotic pain medication that was not touching it. They numbed my mouth and examined the most recent extraction site. They thought it was developing dry socket because the swelling was pulling the wound apart so they put dry socket paste in it and then said I needed to see an oral surgeon for further treatment. They searched for an oral surgeon that would see me that day to possibly drain the site of swelling or IV antibiotics or whatever. They gave me a prescription for some stronger narcotics and told me to get to the oral surgeon for an appointment in 1.5 hours from then. Of course the surgeon's office was across town and I had to go and let my dog out and stuff before getting over there, so I did not get a chance to fill that prescription, but I thought I would be leaving the oral surgeon's office with my mouth numbed again at the very least............BIG MISTAKE!

By the time I arrived at the oral surgeon's office, the Novocaine was wearing off and the pain was becoming intolerable once again. Of course, they made me fill out paperwork after paperwork before going in to the exam room. Then when they took me back, the assistant asked what was going on? Really? I am in excruciating pain, my jaw/chin/neck area are swollen and red, I am crying and sobbing and they want me to articulate everything that has been going on? My question was "didn't the dentist fill you in on why I needed to be seen today............isn't that why you agreed to see me on an emergent basis?" The assistant just said they "like to hear it directly from the patient" so they have to ask. I did my best to articulate what was going on.

She then tells me I need x-rays. I told her I had several sets of x-rays at the dentist's office, but she said they needed their own. They wanted the panoramic x-ray where you stand up with your chin on a plate and bite down on the little piece of plastic. I am doing the best I can, but it really hurts like hell to put any pressure whatsoever on my chin and I express that. The assistant's reply was not one of compassion in any way................."well if you can't stand here and get these x-rays done properly, we can't do anything for you." The tone was basically "stand there, get it done or get the hell out of the office." I told her that her compassion knows no bounds, and she just rolled her eyes. We completed the x-rays and I was put back in the room to wait another 15 minutes. Now keep in mind when I entered the office, there was 1 person in the waiting room who was taken back before I finished my paperwork. I saw that person leaving when I was being take back to my room, so I think I was the only one left in there, but still had to wait all that time still writhing in pain.

The oral surgeon comes in, takes a quick look in my mouth and says the extraction sites look pretty good. Pushes and probes around the swelling saying I had a "pretty good infection going on" but he would not be able to do anything further because I had not be on the Clindamycin for more than a few days. I asked what the hell I was supposed to do at that point and he said that I would have to stick it out until maybe after the weekend (meaning tomorrow) and then he could see me back about a possible course of action. I told him that I could not stand that pain for another 7 days. He told me that he knew my dentist had given me a strong narcotic to take and suggested I make "full use of them" while waiting this time. He did very nicely tell me he would not be charging me for the visit or the x-rays that day. I asked if he could possibly just numb my mouth before I left to allow me to get my prescription filled (it is across town) and get home to take some, to which he replied "I don't feel that is really necessary at this point, that medication will work pretty quickly when you get it filled!" I was absolutely livid. He did helpfully tell me that should the swelling increase "too much more" or if I had trouble breathing that I could consider going to the ER for treatment. Thankfully, my brother had dropped my husband off at the office after work so he was there to drive me home, but I was absolutely livid when I left, but in so much pain I couldn't even yell at him.

On the way home, I called the original dentist and asked if I could stop to get it numbed again and explained the situation, but both dentists were already gone for the day and they couldn't help either. I want to tell you that was the LONGEST ride home ever. My husband dropped me off at home and went to the pharmacy and begged for them to get it filled as soon as possible. He brought it home and finally a hour later, I was doped up to the point I still had pain, but really didn't care.

Now to make matters ever worse, my husband was scheduled to have hernia surgery the next morning. This is a work comp thing that we had been going back and forth with for a couple of months and it was finally approved and scheduled so we didn't want to alter that at that point. So, I just continued to take the pain medication religiously around the clock to stay ahead of the pain and we went ahead with his surgery the following day. By that afternoon, I realized that I was going to run out of the pain medication by the next day if I continued to take 2 as prescribed so I called the dentist's office to see if I could get more, but they refused. They said because of the swelling and redness they did not feel comfortable regardless of what the oral surgeon had said about waiting. So, I took my husband home and took care of him that afternoon and night. I cut my medication back to 1 pill in order to stretch them out a bit and tried to grin and bear it. When I got up the next morning, my entire jawline was swollen (looked like I had the mumps, there was redness, it was hard as a rock, I had trouble swallowing, I was running a fever, and it was apparent, I had no choice but to go to the ER. Oh, and I forgot to mention my regular family care doctor retired from the clinic in July and the doctor they chose to take over was someone I really was not impressed with and I had been contemplating finding a new PCP and switching to a different clinic completely, but had not gotten around to that yet.

Since my husband had just had surgery, I had no choice but to drive myself. I decided to try the urgent care clinic first (where my PCP was before retiring since they would have my records), but they took one look at me and said I needed to go the ER they couldn't do anything for me there. So, off to the ER I went. When they took me for the "triage" part of the visit, I asked if they could just put me in a room with an ice pack or something because the pain meds were wearing off and I didn't want to sit in the waiting room. They didn't have to move me up the list, just a place to lay down would be so helpful, but they told me they had nothing. I waited with pain increasing for an hour in the waiting room. There were only 3 people in front of me in the waiting room so I am not sure why it took so long midday on a Friday, but it did. They finally took me back to a room with a reclining chair, had a PA see me who said that they were really busy today, but because of the amount of pain I was in, she would get me something for the pain while I waited. Another 30 minutes go by and they take me to another room to get a shot for the pain. So at least at this point I was in a recliner type chair with some pain relief, but still nothing else being done. No blood work, no x-rays, no examination of any kind.

I am not sure how long I laid there, but suddenly I was absolutely freezing, the pain meds were wearing off, and I called out for some help. I asked for a blanket (yes I was laying there in a bare reclining chair all that time with no sheet, blanket, pillow or anything. The nurse came in and said I looked very flushed and asked if I has having trouble breathing. I told her that my breathing was okay, but my throat was very dry and sore. I asked for water and a blanket again. I also told her I had a weird feeling of palpating going on in my neck just above my sternum. She examined it and took my vitals. My temp had risen to almost 103, my pulse was high and suddenly I became important enough to be taken back to one of the actual ER treatment rooms.

Once in that room, the ER physician came to see me and within 10 minutes they did blood work, had an IV with fluids started, some pain medication given via the IV and a CT ordered of the swollen area. Now keep in mind, at this point I had been interviewed/questioned by 4 or 5 different nurses from my initial contact to getting back to the ER treatment room and each of them had asked me if I had any current medical conditions they needed to be aware of, what medications I had been taking, and any allergies I have. Each time I told them I had no chronic medical conditions, the only meds were the antibiotics, ibuprofen and the pain meds for this current condition and the only allergy I have is to IVP dye. They ALL asked me this and the answers were always the same, but nobody seemed to be writing down anything or recording it. One nurse put an allergy band on my arm, but didn't write on the band what the allergy was to. So, when they said I was going to have a CT, I reminded them of the IVP dye allergy. They asked what my reaction was to it, and I told them hives and red splotches all over my body, my eye swelled shut and my throat swelled to where I had difficulty breathing. So, obviously this could not be used for the CT.

The technician came to get me for the CT and I asked if the CT had been ordered without contrast because I have an allergy. He said it would be done without contrast. I was in the CT room waiting for the CT tech to come in and a nurse came in and said she was going to disconnect the IV fluids since they would "have to use that for the contrast" for now. So there I am in a drugged up condition explaining that the CT CANNOT be performed with contrast. The nurse mumbled something on the way out of the room about premedication because they NEED the contrast for this type of CT. The CT tech came in and reassured me that they would not be using the contrast. They did the test and back to the ER I went.

When I arrived the nurse who had put the allergy band on my arm without putting any identifying information on it asked me why I didn't tell anyone I was allergic to contrast? I am thinking, what the hell? Are these people on the same drugs they are giving me? I told her I most certainly had told SEVERAL people about the allergy. She then said the only allergy I told her about was peanuts. Now I guess it is possible that with all the swelling, the pain and the drugged condition I was in IVP dye could MAYBE sound like peanuts once or even twice, but not that many times. Furthermore why the hell would I be asking those questions about the CT from everyone else? I think the nurse really dropped the ball and tried to pass it off on to me, but that didn't work. Thankfully, I had enough of my wits to keep a HUGE mistake from happening.

After all of this, they had a hospital internist come in and said I needed to be admitted to be put on IV antibiotics and fluids and to keep up the pain control. He said there was not a localized abscess that could be drained at that point, the CT just showed cellulitis and a great deal of inflammation. So, after 9 hours in the ER I was finally sent to a room for the treatment. The next day, they wanted to keep me another night, but after some discussion and urging on my part (my husband was not doing too well at home even with my brother and his girlfriend checking on him periodically), they let me go home. That first night, I thought I had made a huge mistake in not staying another night, but by this morning, I was doing better. Still have A LOT of swelling in the area, but the pain is managed with ibuprofen alone and the HUGE doses of antibiotics. Now I just have to determine what course of action to take starting tomorrow. Do I go do my PCP replacement who I am not really impressed or thrilled with, but he does have all my records? Do I seek out a new PCP, ask for records to be forwarded immediately and get started a new? Do I go back to the dentist to see if they believe an oral surgeon (has to be by referral with my insurance) is the best route to take? Obviously that jackass they sent me to before is out of the question at this point. Not sure where I will go from here, but at least I am functional at this point and my husband is finally on the mend as well.

There is my horrific story of a toothache gone bad in the worst way.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to vent!

Now back to Big Brother!
Back to top Go down
chap5788
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:25 am

Just one more note, when I arrived at the floor I asked the floor nurse to check my records to see if the allergy was listed correctly and she said it shows "allergy to peanuts" and that was it! I told her all the events about this whole situation and she FINALLY got it fixed to reflect the correct information. Geez, there are no words!
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 9607

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:38 am

Wow, and here I thought you were just gone having fun for the holiday weekend! So sorry you had to go through all of that, but glad you are better now and back! big hug
Back to top Go down
chap5788
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:03 pm

ctown28 wrote:
Wow, and here I thought you were just gone having fun for the holiday weekend!  So sorry you had to go through all of that, but glad you are better now and back!  big hug

I sure wish that WAS the case! Thanks Ctown.
Back to top Go down
Helen
BB Member
BB Member

Female Posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:03 pm

So sorry about your experience with the medical people.  Which reminds me, do you know what they call the guy that graduates at the very bottom of his class in med school??   (answer:  "Doctor")  scary, heh?
Back to top Go down
chap5788
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:07 pm

Helen wrote:
So sorry about your experience with the medical people.  Which reminds me, do you know what they call the guy that graduates at the very bottom of his class in med school??   (answer:  "Doctor")  scary, heh?

Yes scary, but also very funny! I needed that! Thanks! clapping
Back to top Go down
KeenLizzy
BB Junkie Houseguest
BB Junkie Houseguest

Female Posts : 2069

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Awe Chap, I'm so sorry to hear about your terrible experience!! I was wondering where you were.  I started posting more and noticed I hadn't seen you post in a while and thought you were just DONE with us and the season! TeeHee

Glad you are back and that your pain is now manageable with ibuprofen. Hug?

Dumb medical people!! Face Slap
Back to top Go down
deesta
BB Junkie Member
BB Junkie Member

Female Posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm still trying to figure this out, I posted my "Welcome Back" on "tidbits" & don't know how to move it over here.
Back to top Go down
chap5788
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:00 am

KeenLizzy wrote:
Awe Chap, I'm so sorry to hear about your terrible experience!! I was wondering where you were.  I started posting more and noticed I hadn't seen you post in a while and thought you were just DONE with us and the season! TeeHee

Glad you are back and that your pain is now manageable with ibuprofen. Hug?

Dumb medical people!! Face Slap

Well all my favorites are gone from the game, but I still have my trusted and true people here on this site. I will NEVER be done with you guys.

I still WANT to root for Jmac, but it just seems like he has become another one of Vanessa's cronies and I would just like to see him step up and DO SOMETHING for a change.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 9607

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:10 am

deesta wrote:
I'm still trying to figure this out, I posted my "Welcome Back" on "tidbits" & don't know how to move it over here.

Unfortunately single posts cannot be moved from one topic to another, only full topics can be merged together, but no worries
Back to top Go down
deesta
BB Junkie Member
BB Junkie Member

Female Posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:17 am

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to do that either. I'm raising my 15-year-old granddaughter who's in her 2nd year of tech, but she's too busy following wrestling & dance to help Grandma figure out how to use this cheap-ass tablet.
But I'll get it. Thanks ctown.
Back to top Go down
chap5788
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:49 am

deesta wrote:

I saw your post over there and replied to it. Glad to see you posting away!
Back to top Go down
DrWillRocks
BB ULTRA Super Junkie
BB ULTRA Super Junkie

Male Posts : 406

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:33 am

bless your heart Chap I will be praying for you!!
Back to top Go down
Wembeley
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Female Posts : 1444

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:24 am

Aw Chap tooth pain is the worst and so is the hospital!! I still kinda am rooting for JMac too. That says something pretty sad about this season.
Back to top Go down
Lyndsey45
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Female Posts : 2693

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:10 am

Hug? Welcome back Chap! I thought you were on vacation & had no idea you were going thru this...so sorry to hear Sad-Cry Dental pain seems to be the worst & I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with all the doctors. I hope your hubby is feeling better also.

I was so excited to see the twins on the block & now tonight Vanessa & Johnny Mac said they'll keep Liz & evict Julia. The twins are on to Vanessa now strongly suspect she has a final two with JMac....but I bet they won't do anything about it. I guess we'll just ride it out for the next few weeks Big Vomit
Back to top Go down
chap5788
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:39 am

Thanks again for all the well wishes from everyone. I just love the people on this site! big hug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK   

Back to top Go down

Off Topic - I'M BAAACCK
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1