View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KeenLizzy
BB Junkie Houseguest
BB Junkie Houseguest

Female Posts: 1475

PostSubject: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:30 pm

I saw an article come in last night for work...about Julie Chen, but could not discuss it.

However, now that it went live, I'm am free to say...Julie Chen finally speaks up about the racism in the BB house!

I think it was Chap who was the one that pointed out that Julie went through a lot of bullying and being called names because she was Asian, and wondered why she didn't speak up about it. I bet she couldn't say anything about it, until Endemol and CBS figured out what exactly they were going to show.

Well now that Julie has spoken up and said how much this really stung, maybe Grodner will manipulate AarynNation out of there.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

Male Posts: 5756

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Back to top Go down
KeenLizzy
BB Junkie Houseguest
BB Junkie Houseguest

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:49 pm

In my haste to include the link, I forgot to add the most important part!!

The article on MSN basically reiterates what Julie said on The Talk but what I was sent last night said this:
"Julie Chen will be discussing Big Brother houseguests and their racists comments tomorrow on The Talk. She will be addressing her feelings and will give more insight on what the houseguests have been saying".

Seems like she did address the AarynNation thing, but not really the other houseguests and what they were saying! I wonder if they only let her talk about AarynNation or if she really only intended to talk about AarynNation?? Seems they are putting Chenbot on stealth mode! I smell something fishy and it ain't those segregated fish!
chuckle
Back to top Go down
mk_philly
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Male Posts: 1191

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:47 pm

Good. Now people can stop crying about CBS not addressing it, covering it up, and w/e else they've been crying about it for.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:56 pm

mk_philly wrote:
Good. Now people can stop crying about CBS not addressing it, covering it up, and w/e else they've been crying about it for.

You didn't think it was important for CBS to address it? Especially considering the fact it could influence the outcome of the MVP vote?

Care to explain why?
Back to top Go down
KeenLizzy
BB Junkie Houseguest
BB Junkie Houseguest

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Maybe this little video of all the hateful things that have been said in the house will help make those understand why CBS had to finally address the issue. It's one thing to read about this, but to actually hear it and see it all mashed up like in one video. Wow.

"My downfall, people judge me as soon as they see me, and not always in a good way" - AarynNation at her finest.
Pot meet Kettle.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:48 pm

I agree with everything Julie said on The Talk, it was shown becasue it's driving the story and became an issue between the HG's.

They all made a lot of sense. This is a young college educated girl who apparently still has a lot to learn. The only thing that one can hope is that wehn she sees how stupid she looks, she tries to learn from it.

Asshole David already made excuses for her that it's about tempers flying in the house. It's a bullshit excuse. Like Julie said, if she is saying these things, can you imagine the things she is thinking
Back to top Go down
mk_philly
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:11 pm

ctown28 wrote:
mk_philly wrote:

You didn't think it was important for CBS to address it?  Especially considering the fact it could influence the outcome of the MVP vote?

Care to explain why?

To be honest, no, not really. It wont make any difference as far as who the public vote for.

I just didn't care one way or the other if it was addressed. It's not going to influence any sort of outcome with the MVP vote. Viewers will vote for who they like regardless. Jeff was in the house being homophobic, yet the public still loved the guy in house. And CBS even hired him. I don't even think there was any out cry for his homophobic remarks.

I feel what was said, was overblown by the Internet because people initially hated Aaryn to begin with (why I dont think it has any bearing to MVP votes). So when she made her comments, the Internet was right there up in arms. For the rest, no one will remember the things they said or care they said them. Especially now that it was addressed. I also find it funny that most of the outrage have been from white people, but thats always the case now is it.

There were also the comments that were sexist (which happens every season from males and females) and anti-gay remarks (happens often in the BB House, Where was the outrage when Jeff went homophobic?), they were not all racist remarks, but I guess its all bundled in to the same topic of discussion for w/e reason.

Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:26 pm

mk_philly wrote:
ctown28 wrote:
mk_philly wrote:

You didn't think it was important for CBS to address it?  Especially considering the fact it could influence the outcome of the MVP vote?

Care to explain why?

To be honest, no, not really. It wont make any difference as far as who the public vote for.

I just didn't care one way or the other if it was addressed. It's not going to influence any sort of outcome with the MVP vote. Viewers will vote for who they like regardless. Jeff was in the house being homophobic, yet the public still loved the guy in house. And CBS even hired him. I don't even think there was any out cry for his homophobic remarks.

I feel what was said, was overblown by the Internet because people initially hated Aaryn to begin with (why I dont think it has any bearing to MVP votes). So when she made her comments, the Internet was right there up in arms. For the rest, no one will remember the things they said or care they said them. Especially now that it was addressed. I also find it funny that most of the outrage have been from white people, but thats always the case now is it.

There were also the comments that were sexist (which happens every season from males and females) and anti-gay remarks (happens often in the BB House, Where was the outrage when Jeff went homophobic?), they were not all racist remarks, but I guess its all bundled in to the same topic of discussion for w/e reason.

But there are some differences here. Jeffs' "homophobic" rant was an isolated incident, this stuff with Aaryn was repetitive and showed no signs of slowing down. Not to mention social media is much bigger now then it was two years ago.

I agree that in another 3 months, none of us are ever going to even remember it.

Also, Julie stated they showed it finally because it is a story driving the game, meaning other HG's are aware of it and affected by it. Of course I don't by that, I think they showed it because CBS succumbed to the pressure

Where I felt that it's the right thing to show it is because of the MVP twist. Yes, people are going to vote for who they like. And up until that point CBS was giving her a positive edit. Now I don't actually believe the legitimacy of the "America's vote" one bit, but you have to admit, taht if you are going to try to convince us that it's legit, you have to show the true colors.

Now as far as most of the people up in arms being white, where do you get those statistics from? I'm curious to know because the up in arms things I saw gave no indication of any ethnic background.

One more question for you becasue I know you like the guy, but I think he's an asshat so never looked, do you know what Evel Dick's take on he whole thing was?
Back to top Go down
mk_philly
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 pm

ctown28 wrote:

But there are some differences here.  Jeffs' "homophobic" rant was an isolated incident, this stuff with Aaryn was repetitive and showed no signs of slowing down.  Not to mention social media is much bigger now then it was two years ago.

I agree that in another 3 months, none of us are ever going to even remember it.

Also, Julie stated they showed it finally because it is a story driving the game, meaning other HG's are aware of it and affected by it.  Of course I don't by that, I think they showed it because CBS succumbed to the pressure

Where I felt that it's the right thing to show it is because of the MVP twist.  Yes, people are going to vote for who they like.  And up until that point CBS was giving her a positive edit.  Now I don't actually believe the legitimacy of the "America's vote" one bit, but you have to admit, taht if you are going to try to convince us that it's legit, you have to show the true colors.

Now as far as most of the people up in arms being white, where do you get those statistics from?  I'm curious to know because the up in arms things I saw gave no indication of any ethnic background.

One more question for you becasue I know you like the guy, but I think he's an asshat so never looked, do you know what Evel Dick's take on he whole thing was?

I actually believe that is the case, mainly because that is my thinking about why it wasn't shown earlier... Plus, they are still playing catch up with info from the house on the shows because a lot of stuff shown on the first week of CBS coverage was behind becvause the HGs get in to the house almost a week before BB begins on CBS.

I didn't sense Aaryn was getting a positive edit at all, but hey I wasn't paying attention to her to begin with lol.

I basing my "statistics" from the outrage I've noticed from people. It's overwhelming white people are are reacting to the comments made in the BB house. I do find it funny, that's all.

I know Jun (who's Asian) wrote about it in her blog.

http://jundishes.com/2013/07/07/on-condoning-racism/

But that's about it that I've seen. But in most cases, collectively, white people are the ones most offended by racist comments (again, from my own observations) and like I said, i find it funny.

Evel Dick was actually on TMZ discussing it right after it happened.

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_1p5welt8

Its right at the beginning (4:30 mark), so you can hear straight from him a little bit about his take on the whole thing. But he think they're idiots.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:56 pm

mk_philly wrote:

I basing my "statistics" from the outrage I've noticed from people. It's overwhelming white people are are reacting to the comments made in the BB house. I do find it funny, that's all.

But that's about it that I've seen. But in most cases, collectively, white people are the ones most offended by racist comments (again, from my own observations) and like I said, i find it funny.

OK, just for clarification, because I don't want to assume, these are actaul people you see face to face and interact with, correct?

mk_philly wrote:

Evel Dick was actually on TMZ discussing it right after it happened.

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_1p5welt8

Its right at the beginning (4:30 mark), so you can hear straight from him a little bit about his take on the whole thing. But he think they're idiots.

That's about what I thought. If you think about it, he really can't say anything else about it.

For the record, I think most people are over-reacting as well. As I've stated multiple times on the board. My whole point was that it needs to be shown.

At the end of the day, those comments don't change any of our lives. The only lives that are being changed are the ones sputtering the comments!
Back to top Go down
mk_philly
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:19 pm

ctown28 wrote:

OK, just for clarification, because I don't want to assume, these are actaul people you see face to face and interact with, correct?

Both face to face and over the Internet. Mostly over the Internet, but like we've discussed, what happened in the BB House was a huge Internet response. So for this discussion, I noticed a lot of response from white people about the racist remarks in the BB House.

ctown28 wrote:

That's about what I thought.  If you think about it, he really can't say anything else about it.

For the record, I think most people are over-reacting as well.  As I've stated multiple times on the board.  My whole point was that it needs to be shown.

At the end of the day, those comments don't change any of our lives.  The only lives that are being changed are the ones sputtering the comments!

yeah, exactly. But he's not a fan of racist remarks from everything he's said about it on Twitter. Like him or hate him, he makes a lot of sense with many things, especially when it about BB.

I thought it was only needed to be shown if there was a HG story behind it and we're getting that so they aired it. And for me, I'm not shocked by comments like the ones that have been made. I'm sure I made some outrageous comments while talking to people and at times they just happen. I think that "shut up and go cook some rice" comment was funny. I laughed when i read the comment, but I have a wide sense of humor. I was like, "haha, its funny cause she's Asian". I was also thinking, if it was in a Comedy movie, people would be laughing at it and it wouldnt have been a huge deal.

And I agree, it doesnt change our lives. At least not directly.

Also, I was thinking this wasn't a huge concern with CBS or BB because they got more important things to worry about besides a few stupid comments made.... like the show's ratings which are getting bad. Not canceled bad, but "former HGs will be returning" bad.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 pm

[quote="mk_philly"]

Both face to face and over the Internet. Mostly over the Internet, but like we've discussed, what happened in the BB House was a huge Internet response. So for this discussion, I noticed a lot of response from white people about the racist remarks in the BB House.[quote]

Then my question remains, if it is over the internet, how do you know their ethnic background? Do you see what I'm getting at here?

mk_philly wrote:
I think that "shut up and go cook some rice" comment was funny. I laughed when i read the comment, but I have a wide sense of humor. I was like, "haha, its funny cause she's Asian". I was also thinking, if it was in a Comedy movie, people would be laughing at it and it wouldnt have been a huge deal.

But it's NOT in a comedy movie, thats the difference. When it's in a comedy movie, it's ment to exaggerate and poke fun at a stereotype. This was just mean spirited. There's a huge difference.

I have a wide sense of humor as well. Have you ever seen the Wayans Brother movie "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka"? It's hysterical and they poke fun at the stereotypes perfectly. But the intent is there and it's clear. Sure, Aaryn may have been going after a laugh from GM and Kaitlin, but its not even close to the same thing.

mk_philly wrote:

Also, I was thinking this wasn't a huge concern with CBS or BB because they got more important things to worry about besides a few stupid comments made.... like the show's ratings which are getting bad. Not canceled bad, but "former HGs will be returning" bad.

Big surprise, ratings were up for this episode, think it's a coincidence that its the week they show the comments? If you do, I have a bridge I want to sell you,!
Back to top Go down
mk_philly
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:45 pm

ctown28 wrote:

Then my question remains, if it is over the internet, how do you know their ethnic background?  Do you see what I'm getting at here?  

I got a good sense of who people are. Same reason, not knowing your background I know that you're Mexican. I can tell you're Mexican because how much you hate Illegals and they give you a bad name. I'm kidding of course, but you know what I'm getting at. =) But seriously, through pictures, videos, etc Its easy to tell if they're White, Black, Latin, Asian, Martian or Aquatic (you know some people have hidden gills and I will call them fish heads!!!!).

ctown28 wrote:

But it's NOT in a comedy movie, thats the difference.  When it's in a comedy movie, it's ment to exaggerate and poke fun at a stereotype.  This was just mean spirited.  There's a huge difference.

I have a wide sense of humor as well.  Have you ever seen the Wayans Brother movie "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka"?  It's hysterical and they poke fun at the stereotypes perfectly.  But the intent is there and it's clear.  Sure, Aaryn may have been going after a laugh from GM and Kaitlin, but its not even close to the same thing.

I'm saying presentation dictates a reaction. In a comedy, its funny. On a 24/7 live feed with predetermined notions about a person, not funny. I still think if it was said by a liked HG Like a Jeff for example, but would laugh about it or not be as enraged as they are towards Aaryn. I'm not defending her or what she said, but I still think there would be  a hugely different reaction. To me all the comments made by the HGs were more ignorant and stupid. It's like they needed to find a reason for something and made a poor connection with tings.

ctown28 wrote:

Big surprise, ratings were up for this episode, think it's a coincidence that its the week they show the comments?  If you do, I have a bridge I want to sell you,!

It wasn't about what the episode contained, CBS didnt even advertise they would be addressing the comments. It's more about the holiday being over and people are back home watching TV again. Maybe it was a mistake starting 2 weeks earlier. We'll see how the rest of the season goes with ratings.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Julie Chen address the racism..finally!   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:05 pm

[quote="mk_philly"] But seriously, through pictures, videos, etc Its easy to tell if they're White, Black, Latin, Asian, Martian or Aquatic (you know some people have hidden gills and I will call them fish heads!!!!).
Quote :

But can you trust pictures and what not? I'm not sure where you saw all of this, maybe facebook, but I'm sure you know people are not honest about themselves online. Therefore, I'm gonna have to say no basis!

Here's an example of something that can be construed as racist and rightly so.

Our very own OBE (sorry to bring you into this but its for a reason) has declared himself to be a black man. What If I were to say, he can't be black because I construed from his pics, videos, interests and just the way he types a message he can't be black. Wouldn't that be me profiling him?

mk_philly wrote:

I'm saying presentation dictates a reaction. In a comedy, its funny. On a 24/7 live feed with predetermined notions about a person, not funny. I still think if it was said by a liked HG Like a Jeff for example, but would laugh about it or not be as enraged as they are towards Aaryn. I'm not defending her or what she said, but I still think there would be  a hugely different reaction. To me all the comments made by the HGs were more ignorant and stupid. It's like they needed to find a reason for something and made a poor connection with tings.

But the problem here is that it was repetitive. You've said you dont pay attention to the live feeds and the CBS shows are enough for you. That's a fair enough statement and actually validates your view better than mine, I may be biased because I see the live feeds and determine what I think America wants to see. But it still doesnt change the fact that the MVP twist wehe America gets to vote can come into play for the average viewer hence the importance of showing this crap.

Now that opens up a whole different can of worms, see the MVP twist not thought out thread over in spoilers for more on that!

mk_philly wrote:

It wasn't about what the episode contained, CBS didnt even advertise they would be addressing the comments. It's more about the holiday being over and people are back home watching TV again. Maybe it was a mistake starting 2 weeks earlier. We'll see how the rest of the season goes with ratings.

That is a valid point as well. And I know you watch TV ratings and also know this show isnt going anywhere, its still winning its timeslot
Back to top Go down

Julie Chen address the racism..finally!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next