The Following

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lyndsey45
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Female Posts : 2692

PostSubject: The Following   Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 am

Did anyone watch this show tonight? Kevin Bacon & James Purefoy star & it's about a serial killer. I found it scary & disturbing in parts, but I'm definitely going back for more & I think this show has a lot of promise.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 8836

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 am

Lyndsey45 wrote:
Did anyone watch this show tonight? Kevin Bacon & James Purefoy star & it's about a serial killer. I found it scary & disturbing in parts, but I'm definitely going back for more & I think this show has a lot of promise.

This has the potentail to be my must watch show of the week. I wasn't going to set myself up for the fall with the big hype surrounding it, so I went in expecting a lot of fluff, wow was I wrong. Now if they can keep the suspense level there, I'll be tuning in every week. Very disturbing show and if they do it right, it will be more of a mini series than anything. I think this story can be told over the course of just this one small season.
Back to top Go down
capricious1
Shoe Goddess
Shoe Goddess

Female Posts : 11266

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:53 am

Lyndsey45 wrote:

Will be watching it tonight! I have been looking forward to this one! Love James Purefoy from Rome (another great show that just stopped and left us hanging). Smile

_______________________________________________________________________________________
“Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.”   Douglas Adams
Back to top Go down
potato74
BB Junkie Houseguest
BB Junkie Houseguest

Male Posts : 6340

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 pm

I have not seen it yet but will soon. I expect it to be kinda what I was reading here, good, dark and has promise to be really good.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:56 pm

potato74 wrote:
I have not seen it yet but will soon. I expect it to be kinda what I was reading here, good, dark and has promise to be really good.

Not sure if you'll like it potato. Not much in the way of boobies! NaNaNaNa
Back to top Go down
capricious1
Shoe Goddess
Shoe Goddess

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:05 pm

ctown28 wrote:
potato74 wrote:

If anyone can find a boob in a tv show it is our potato! Very Happy

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down
potato74
BB Junkie Houseguest
BB Junkie Houseguest

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:06 pm

capricious1 wrote:
ctown28 wrote:
potato74 wrote:

If anyone can find a boob in a tv show it is our potato! Very Happy

It is true, the more nice boobs in a show the better chuckle
Back to top Go down
Lyndsey45
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm glad you like it also ctown. Capri & potato I'm sure you will enjoy it also. I literally could not sleep last night...tossed & turned & when I fell asleep I had dreams about the show. I can't remember the last time I was so spooked by a show.

Kevin Bacon is pretty good in anything & I love James Purefoy also. He was in a short lived series a few years ago where he travelled around the world trying to help others & I can't remember what it was called.

Capri, yes Rome was excellent...for some reason I thought Cesear (Ciarion Hinds) was sexy, lol. I haven't thought that in any other of his movies, but he was excellent in Munich also.
Back to top Go down
mk_philly
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Male Posts : 1228

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:57 pm

My DVR didn't record it for some reason. All I know is that critics either loved it or hated it. They also said episode 4 is really out there. I'll catch it as soon as I can.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:44 pm

mk_philly wrote:
My DVR didn't record it for some reason. All I know is that critics either loved it or hated it. They also said episode 4 is really out there. I'll catch it as soon as I can.

It will be on again this Friday night, then there will be 14 new episodes each monday for 14 mondays in a row.
Back to top Go down
capricious1
Shoe Goddess
Shoe Goddess

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am

Lyndsey45 wrote:
I'm glad you like it also ctown. Capri & potato I'm sure you will enjoy it also. I literally could not sleep last night...tossed & turned & when I fell asleep I had dreams about the show. I can't remember the last time I was so spooked by a show.

Kevin Bacon is pretty good in anything & I love James Purefoy also. He was in a short lived series a few years ago where he travelled around the world trying to help others & I can't remember what it was called.

Capri, yes Rome was excellent...for some reason I thought Cesear (Ciarion Hinds) was sexy, lol. I haven't thought that in any other of his movies, but he was excellent in Munich also.

It was a great show.

Looking forward to watching this show tonight.

Back to top Go down
mk_philly
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Male Posts : 1228

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:57 am

ctown28 wrote:
mk_philly wrote:

It will be on again this Friday night, then there will be 14 new episodes each monday for 14 mondays in a row.

Yeah, I was just pissed laying down and relaxing to watch some tv and notice it wasn't on there. Luckily I had another 12 shows to watch last night.

If you're wondering ratings wise, it did better than expected by most.. but as good as FOX had hoped. Up 120% from The Mob Doctor premire
Back to top Go down
capricious1
Shoe Goddess
Shoe Goddess

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:22 am

mk_philly wrote:
ctown28 wrote:
mk_philly wrote:

Yeah, I was just pissed laying down and relaxing to watch some tv and notice it wasn't on there. Luckily I had another 12 shows to watch last night.

If you're wondering ratings wise, it did better than expected by most.. but as good as FOX had hoped. Up 120% from The Mob Doctor premire

I hate when that happens. Also cannot stand it when someone messes with my recorded shows!

Back to top Go down
Lyndsey45
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 pm

capricious1 wrote:
mk_philly wrote:
ctown28 wrote:
mk_philly wrote:

I hate when that happens. Also cannot stand it when someone messes with my recorded shows!

Like sitting down to watch Steel Magnolias & a hockey game comes on!.....very disappointed & yes, there was hell to pay!, lol
Back to top Go down
capricious1
Shoe Goddess
Shoe Goddess

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 am

Lyndsey45 wrote:
capricious1 wrote:
mk_philly wrote:
ctown28 wrote:
mk_philly wrote:

Like sitting down to watch Steel Magnolias & a hockey game comes on!.....very disappointed & yes, there was hell to pay!, lol

Or better yet, a baseball game from three years ago. What the heck! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
potato74
BB Junkie Houseguest
BB Junkie Houseguest

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:07 pm

I watched the show and I do like it as it is really good an original and also very been there and done that at the same time. Creepy it is, over the top violent and maybe not all a good thing. Silence of the lambish, which may or may not be a good thing. They had an old lost acteress and she get killed off already in a horrible way.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:24 pm

potato74 wrote:
I watched the show and I do like it as it is really good an original and also very been there and done that at the same time. Creepy it is, over the top violent and maybe not all a good thing. Silence of the lambish, which may or may not be a good thing. They had an old lost acteress and she get killed off already in a horrible way.

I've seen some complaints for over the top violence and this is such a ridiculous complaint. If you aren't expecting the type of gore and violence going in, you must be stupid. They even have the warning right there on the screen at the start of every segment, both at the beginning of the show and when it comes back from commercial.

The Lost actress is Maggie Grace who played Shannon. Many think that what they did with her is the same thing the did with Drew Barrymore and the Scream franchise, bring in a big name actress (though shes not nearly as big as Drew Barrymore) and kil her off fro mthe start to show that nobody is safe. This shows creator is the same creator as the guy that did the scream movies.
Back to top Go down
potato74
BB Junkie Houseguest
BB Junkie Houseguest

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:03 pm

ctown28 wrote:
potato74 wrote:

I've seen some complaints for over the top violence and this is such a ridiculous complaint. If you aren't expecting the type of gore and violence going in, you must be stupid. They even have the warning right there on the screen at the start of every segment, both at the beginning of the show and when it comes back from commercial.

The Lost actress is Maggie Grace who played Shannon. Many think that what they did with her is the same thing the did with Drew Barrymore and the Scream franchise, bring in a big name actress (though shes not nearly as big as Drew Barrymore) and kil her off fro mthe start to show that nobody is safe. This shows creator is the same creator as the guy that did the scream movies.

I like the show and was not distubed too much by the violence and that is not what makes the show good, it is the acting and plot lines. If the violence was taken out, would the show be as big as a hit is a question. I can see why people get upset about it and actually all the talk about the violence most likley was publicity and it worked to get more people to watch the show as it is a huge hit.
Back to top Go down
Lyndsey45
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:26 pm

I don't advocate violence & I don't go to the movies to see blood, guts & gore. I just don't like to see people getting chopped up. The weird thing is that in this show, the violence is less disturbing than the plot & psychological affect they're going for. You think one thing & then....gotcha, it's nothing like you expected & the frightening thing for me is that this can actually happen. Potato, I agree it is somewhat Silence of the Lamish where the horror lies in both the violence & the apprehension that something will happen at any moment. All I know it that it scared the bejeezus out of me, but I can't wait to go back for more.
Back to top Go down
potato74
BB Junkie Houseguest
BB Junkie Houseguest

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Lyndsey45 wrote:
I don't advocate violence & I don't go to the movies to see blood, guts & gore. I just don't like to see people getting chopped up. The weird thing is that in this show, the violence is less disturbing than the plot & psychological affect they're going for. You think one thing & then....gotcha, it's nothing like you expected & the frightening thing for me is that this can actually happen. Potato, I agree it is somewhat Silence of the Lamish where the horror lies in both the violence & the apprehension that something will happen at any moment. All I know it that it scared the bejeezus out of me, but I can't wait to go back for more.

I too do not watch the really violent stuff like saw movies and the like as to me they are pure smut garbage, but as you say this show it was so not like that. The violence was disturbing, but it should be, but it was not over the top or put in their just for the sake of showing it. It was actaully perfect in that way and I have no problem with that part of it. It is based on real stuff that really has and does happen and that is why it is so creepy!
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:05 pm

potato74 wrote:
Lyndsey45 wrote:

I too do not watch the really violent stuff like saw movies and the like as to me they are pure smut garbage, but as you say this show it was so not like that. The violence was disturbing, but it should be, but it was not over the top or put in their just for the sake of showing it. It was actaully perfect in that way and I have no problem with that part of it. It is based on real stuff that really has and does happen and that is why it is so creepy!

I don't know if I would go as far as to say it's things that can and do happen. Grisly murders like that, unfortunately, yes those do happen. But for someone to get a following like that, be able to even access the internet from a blocked intraweb and such is not plausible, but if tey were to make it 100% plausible, it takes away from the show. Lets face it, if you believaed something like this could really happen, it would be even more scary, but not the entertaining kind.
Back to top Go down
Lyndsey45
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 pm

ctown28 wrote:
potato74 wrote:
Lyndsey45 wrote:

I don't know if I would go as far as to say it's things that can and do happen. Grisly murders like that, unfortunately, yes those do happen. But for someone to get a following like that, be able to even access the internet from a blocked intraweb and such is not plausible, but if tey were to make it 100% plausible, it takes away from the show. Lets face it, if you believaed something like this could really happen, it would be even more scary, but not the entertaining kind.

Charles Manson comes to mind, Warren Jeffs, the kool aid guy with his cult....not saying they could do what we saw on the show, but there are in fact cults out there that will follow & do whatever they're told to do. Of course you can't put Manson & Jeffs in the same catagory...I'm just trying to make a point that there are lots of "followings" & probably some we have never even heard of. As far as the closet scene...totally plausible & that's what creeped me out because it is entirely possible. The hi-tech stuff I agree with you about, but the premise of people "following" & "carrying out" what they're told to do to me is believable, but I'm not ready to board up my closet just yet, lol.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Lyndsey45 wrote:
ctown28 wrote:
potato74 wrote:
Lyndsey45 wrote:

Charles Manson comes to mind, Warren Jeffs, the kool aid guy with his cult....not saying they could do what we saw on the show, but there are in fact cults out there that will follow & do whatever they're told to do. Of course you can't put Manson & Jeffs in the same catagory...I'm just trying to make a point that there are lots of "followings" & probably some we have never even heard of. As far as the closet scene...totally plausible & that's what creeped me out because it is entirely possible. The hi-tech stuff I agree with you about, but the premise of people "following" & "carrying out" what they're told to do to me is believable, but I'm not ready to board up my closet just yet, lol.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Yes the ones you speak of have or had followings, especially Manson, but the logistics of putting something like that together is unheard of.

The closet scene however, could make some people think before owning a luster home.
Back to top Go down
Lyndsey45
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:27 am

I think the reason I can relate to the closet scene is because many years ago I lived in a condo....four unit clusters each. One guy, a teenager, broke thru the attic space into the next condo & robbed them. It was puzzling at first but then someone had the idea to check the attic space & sure enough it was broken thru....kid went to jail for quite a while.

Another time..swear this is true...when I was a teenager I stayed at a friends house for the weekend. Her parents were away & her housekeeper was watching us. Of course being teenagers our imaginations ran wild & we heard all kinds of creepy noises in the empty house. Turns out weeks later there was actually a burglar hiding up in the attic & he was responsible for robbing a few houses in the neighborhood & among the stuff he had a fur coat. Now that was very creepy & I guess we were extremely lucky.
Back to top Go down
capricious1
Shoe Goddess
Shoe Goddess

PostSubject: Re: The Following   Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 pm

Well, I finally got around to watching it and I LOVED it! Perfectly creepy good psychological thriller. They did a great job of detailing the charisma of the killer. Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy were amazing. Love that a main character got "sent out" in the first episode, did not see that coming.

I agree with ctown that this is more of a mini series type deal, hopefully they do not make it into something else.

As to the violence. I think there was more gore than violence but no more than you can see on any episode of CSI. The violence (other than the lady in the beginning) was more inferred than actually happening before you. It was that apprehension and creep factor that has the viewer matrixing and filling in the details, making it so much creepier. Besides, if you don't like something, switch the flipping channel.

All in all I am liking the show a lot, only one thing bothered me and that was the dog scene. I cannot help it, I am like Mike Weston in the show, cannot stand to see an amimal hurt.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Following   

Back to top Go down

The Following
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Dramas & Thrillers :: Dramas & Thrillers: General Comments-
Jump to: