Share | 

Ravens........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
just-mema
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Female Posts : 2191

PostSubject: Ravens........   Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Ray Lewis didn't change the Baltimore Ravens franchise when he was drafted in 1996. Ray Lewis became the Baltimore Ravens franchise.

The Ravens with and without Ray Lewis

With

Without

Won-loss record

(w)128-100-1

(wo)17-16

Points allowed per game

(w)17.8

(wo)21.0

Yards allowed per game

(w)297.8

(wo)308.0

Rushing yards allowed per game

(w)92.1

(wo)105.8

Takeaways per game

(w)2.0

(wo)1.8

Ravens football was born on September 1, 1996 with a game against the Oakland Raiders. Lewis started at middle linebacker, picking off Billy Joe Hobart to lead a 19-14 Baltimore win. He's led them for 17 seasons since. That's why the the news of his season-ending triceps tear is such a seismic event for the franchise.

The Ravens have finished seasons without Lewis before. He only played five games in 2002 and six games in 2005. This time, at age 37, is different. We don't know whether Lewis will play again. It feels like the end of an era.
Declining play

The not-so-dirty secret around the NFL this year was Lewis' decline on the field. After a strong 2011 campaign, Lewis finally started to show his age. He struggled to shed blocks. He was a big part of the problem for Baltimore's struggling defense.

The Ravens defense didn't look like the Ravens defense even before this injury. We've read suggestions that the Ravens were better off with Lewis off the field. That's a stretch considering his leadership and what he means to the team, but Lewis is one of the smartest football minds of his generation. He sees what's on film. With some time to reflect this year, he may decide that he doesn't want to play any longer at an inferior level.

Instant Debate: Fraud squad?

Which team isn't as good as its record suggests: Joe
Flacco's Ravens, Atlanta, Houston or Chicago? Let's debate! More ...

Leadership vacuum

The Ravens may move Jameel McClain from outside to middle linebacker. They could promote Daniel Ellerbe to the starting lineup. No matter how the depth chart looks, there will be no replacing Lewis' leadership.

We tend to think that "leadership" in the locker room gets overrated in the NFL. What you do on the field is what matters. Lewis transcends such skepticism. Watch the great episode of Lewis on "A Football Life" and you begin to understand a little. He's a force of personality that simply can't be replicated. There aren't other players around the league like him.

With all due respect to Ozzie Newsome, Jonathan Ogden and Ed Reed, no figure has been more pivotal to the Ravens' success over the years than Lewis. Baltimore's defensive coordinators got head coaching jobs because of him. Watching "A Football Life," it felt in many ways like Lewis was coaching the team with John Harbaugh.

Baltimore has to replace Lewis and their best cornerback Lardarius Webb at a time when they can't rush the passer or stop the run. They will have to rely on Joe Flacco and the offense to carry the team.

There is no B.R. (Before Ray) period in Ravens history. The next era starts now.

Last edited by just-mema on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
just-mema
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Ravens........   Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Dear God,

We need a miracle......

love you,
Mema
Back to top Go down
mk_philly
V.I.P. Thread Hog

Male Posts : 1228

PostSubject: Re: Ravens........   Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Ray Lewis is top 5 of my all time favorite NFL players. Hope this isn't it for him.
Back to top Go down
ctown28
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 9223

PostSubject: Re: Ravens........   Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:09 am

just-mema wrote:

Ray Lewis didn't change the Baltimore Ravens franchise when he was drafted in 1996. Ray Lewis became the Baltimore Ravens franchise.

I don't like Ray Lewis one bit. I can't take away from him that he is a great football player, but he is also something else, he is an accomplice to the murder of two men. Charges were dropped against him in exchange for his testimony and that is how he got out of it.

And before you say something like, he was never proven to have anything to do with that, ask yourself this question "Is OJ Simpson responsible for Nicole Simpson and Ronald Goldmans deaths?"

just-mema wrote:

Ravens football was born on September 1, 1996 with a game against the Oakland Raiders. Lewis started at middle linebacker, picking off Billy Joe Hobart to lead a 19-14 Baltimore win. He's led them for 17 seasons since. That's why the the news of his season-ending triceps tear is such a seismic event for the franchise.

Incorrect, Ravens football was born on November 6, 1995 when then Browns owner Art Modell broke the hearts of Browns fans and announced he was taking his team and moving to Baltimore. The Browns were a favorite to contend for the SuperBowl at the time of the announcement and because of it the entire season was de-railed and the Browns went on to a 5-11 record. That is what enabled the Ravens to select Jonathon Ogden and Ray Lewis in the first round of the 1996 draft, without those two players, they are nowhere close to ever winning a Superbowl. Browns fans rallied and forced Modell to leave the name, colors and history behind (To listen to Modell he makes it sound like he did this willingly, which is not the case, the NFL would not have approved the move without it)

Sorry mema, I know you love your Ravens, but I'm not shedding a tear or losing any sleep over the fact that this guys career may be over.
Back to top Go down
just-mema
V.I.P. Thread Hog

PostSubject: Re: Ravens........   Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:12 pm

thats okay ctown...you are entitled to feel how you feel.... I dont take offense to it.

((kinda the same type feelings towards the Eagles for me..... McNabe, Vick and Reid ruined it for me)))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ravens........   

Back to top Go down

Ravens........
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1